Government Policy & Public Integrity
Facing intense public scrutiny, media attention, and regulatory oversight, government entities, public officials and those doing business with the government must do more than simply comply with public integrity standards, applicable laws, and regulations. They must command public respect and build trust by promoting integrity, transparency, and fairness in all of their dealings.
With decades of experience advising on government relations and ethical considerations, Best Best & Krieger LLP’s (BBK) Government Policy & Public Integrity group provides government policy guidance and compliance counsel to public entities, officials and agency managers, as well as charities, nonprofits and private businesses, including those in regulated industries.
The team includes former prosecutors, government attorneys, and regulatory officials who not only possess insiders’ perspectives of regulatory and legal nuances but have also earned the respect of government decision-makers, enabling us to offer unrivaled representation and advice.
BBK attorneys offer clients timely, comprehensive, strategic advice, training, and solutions that help instill public confidence in our clients’ decision-making processes and ensure their legal and regulatory compliance. Our services include:
- Establishing best practices and providing customized training programs for managers, staff, and elected officials on their compliance efforts
- Developing codes of ethics, sustainable ethics, and compliance processes
- Reviewing current policies, practices, and procedures
- Advising on anti-fraud programs and controls
- Detecting noncompliance, investigating alleged misconduct, and assessing and managing ethical issues and compliance concerns
- Assuring ethical business conduct and compliance with public integrity statutes, including the Political Reform Act, the Brown Act, the Public Records Act and Government Code 1090, and federal, state, and local election laws
- Representing clients before courts, government agencies, and regulatory bodies, including the Fair Political Practices Commission, as well as asserting and defending their interests in government investigations, administrative hearings, and litigation
- Handling internal reviews, compliance audits, and providing crisis management
- Reporting on significant statutory and regulatory developments
- Advising on government relations issues, gifts to public officials, lobbying and candidate support and finance, as well as conflicts of interest matters
- Monitoring corporate compliance with the terms of government settlements