When business disputes arise that cannot be resolved with compromise or negotiation, litigation may be the only remedy. Litigation can be costly, time-consuming and disruptive, so we businesses in the most cost-effective and strategic manner possible.
Best Best & Krieger LLP (BBK) combines legal, regulatory, business and industry knowledge and experience with litigation skill to give clients a decisive edge when negotiating and litigating resolutions.
Our attorneys have successfully handled disputes regarding complex and diverse matters in courts at all levels, before regulatory bodies, administrative boards and legislatures, and at the negotiating table. We also skillfully employ all forms of alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration, mediation and negotiated settlement.
We start each representation by gaining an understanding of the client’s issues and goals to establish realistic expectations and offer guidance that helps them arrive at the best course of action.
Our litigation teams are appropriately staffed to deliver cost-efficient, effective legal solutions based on each client’s specific needs and goals. We utilize the latest technologies to streamline document review, efficiently manage litigation and enhance the presentation of evidence in court.
Our trial attorneys have experience in all facets of the litigation process, and routinely negotiate and litigate against some of the largest firms in the world. We have successfully handled disputes involving such matters as:
- Corporate governance and director and officer liability
- Legal and regulatory compliance
- Business contracts and transactions
- Environmental issues and liability
- Government contracts
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Labor and employment, including union negotiations
- Employee benefits and executive compensation
- Tax controversies
- Securities, finance and banking
- Mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances and other business combinations
- Real estate
- Construction claims
- Bankruptcies and insolvency
- Corporate restructuring and reorganizations
- Divestitures and dissolutions
Recognizing that prevention is generally best, our attorneys work proactively with clients to identify risks, advising on contract provisions, reviewing policies and practices and offering strategies to avoid litigation. We also help clients with establishing litigation preparedness protocols regarding document retention and organization, discovery readiness and witness preparation.
- Represented a client in a dispute against a major financial institution regarding improperly charged fees, successfully negotiating a resolution by which the financial institution repaid nearly $1 million in fees to our client.
- In a dispute involving a real estate developer and neighboring landowners, BBK defeated the neighbors’ claims and then negotiated a settlement that enabled the project to be built as scheduled.