Richard T. Egger
Richard Egger represents public agency and business clients in strategic problem solving and complex litigation matters. He handles matters in state and federal court. Richard is Best Best & Krieger LLP's general counsel. As general counsel for BB&K he oversees all legal matters for the firm. His work with public agencies has included advice and representation about the Brown Act, the Public Records Act and public contracting issues.
Litigation for Public Agencies
Richard has handled a variety of litigation matters for California public entities, including challenges under the Brown Act, the Public Records Act, challenges to invocations before council meetings, significant contract disputes, including bid protests, Section 1983 cases, alleged discrimination under the federal and state fair housing laws, bid protests concerning large professional service contract awards, as well as towing franchises and pre-election challenges to ballot summaries and candidate statements.
Business and Contract Disputes
Richard represents private businesses and their owners in all manner of disputes, including probate and trust disputes. When possible, he helps clients resolve problems before they reach the court system. He handles all stages of litigation through trial, as well as arbitration and mediation. Richard represents individuals and companies in contract disputes and disagreements about governance issues, including unfair business acts, shareholder disputes, arguments between partners and corporate dissolutions.
Richard is admitted to practice in the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and all federal District Courts in California.
- State Bar Committee On Professional Responsibility and Competency, past member
- State Bar of California Litigation Section
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Association Real Property Probate & Trust Section
- Western San Bernardino County Bar Association
- Greater Ontario Business Council, Board of Directors
- Inland Empire Economic Partnership, Executive Committee, second vice-chair
- Bishop Amat High School Consultative Council, member
- “Ethical Rules for Selling a Law Practice,” California Bar Journal, June 2013
- “Ethically Resolving Fee Disputes Using a Release That Encompasses Potential Malpractice Claims,” California Bar Journal, April 2013
- "Virtual Mediations in the Time of COVID: Tips from a Panel of Distinguished Experts," Commercia Law & Bankruptcy and Banking & Lending Section, Orange County Bar Association, Aug. 27, 2020
- "Ethical Issues Related to Open Government Law," The State Bar of California Public Law Section’s California Public Records & Open Meeting Conference, June 9, 2015
- “Email: The Client Mandate on Security,” moderator, LegalTech West Coast 2014, June 24, 2014
- “Complex Issues with Attorney-Client Privilege,” The State Bar of California’s California Solo & Small Firm Summit, June 19-21, 2014
- “Open Government Lawsuits: Public Records Act; Open Meeting Laws; Conflict of Interest,” The Seminar Group’s Government Law program, Jan. 23, 2014
- “Risky Business: Public Records Act Best Practices/What to Avoid,” speaker and event moderator, Lorman Education Services, Feb. 14, 2013