Labor & Employment Litigation
Employment litigation is always a risk. Costly, disruptive to business, time consuming and potentially damaging to the employer’s reputation, the best strategy is generally avoidance. However, when litigation proves necessary or the best course of action, public and private entities rely on Best Best & Krieger LLP (BBK) to represent them effectively in and out of court.
BBK Labor & Employment Litigation attorneys have represented cities, all types of public agencies, school districts, special districts and private businesses since the firm’s inception. We work closely and personally with each client to develop effective compliance and dispute resolution strategies, and we provide vigorous defense in all types of labor and employment litigation, arbitrations, CalSTRS and CalPERS appeals and other administrative proceedings at the federal, state and local levels.
Our attorneys have appeared on behalf of clients in proceedings before Department of Industrial Relations, EEOC, Office for Civil Rights, Public Employment Relations Board, NLRB, Public Employment Relations Board, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and Office of Administrative Hearings.
We have advised on and resolved disputes regarding a wide range of labor and employment issues. These include:
- Union contracts, collective bargaining issues, impasse procedures, grievance and arbitration proceedings, and other union-related matters
- Violations of laws such as Title VII, Title XI, ADA, FMLA, California Fair Employment and Housing Act, California Family Rights Act, California Pregnancy Disability Leave Act, FLSA and Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act
- Discrimination, harassment and retaliation
- Substance abuse and testing
- Hiring, firing and discipline
- Workers’ compensation
- Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
- Workplace injuries
BBK litigators handle all necessary motions, discovery, witnesses, trial preparation and trial itself, both jury and nonjury.
Proactive Guidance & Litigation Avoidance
Recognizing the potential exposure litigation poses, we work closely with clients, assisting them in developing, administering and enforcing employment policies and best practices designed to avoid liability in the workplace. We advise on all aspects of the law, prepare employee handbooks, and offer training programs to help clients reduce the risk of future litigation.