Kim Byrens works on a broad variety of transactions as either bond, underwriter’s or disclosure counsel as a partner in Best Best & Krieger LLP’s Public Finance practice group. Such financings include Marks-Roos Joint Financing Authority lease or enterprise revenue bonds, Mello-Roos bonds, assessment district bonds, revenue bonds, pension obligation bonds and certificates of participation.
Kim serves as bond counsel to municipal clients all over the State of California. She has assisted development as bond counsel for Community Finance Districts, including very large CFDs in suburban communities experiencing rapid growth and requiring new infrastructure. She has also served as bond counsel for several complex special tax bond restructures, which required creativity to revive development. Kim also serves as bond counsel to several water agencies and cities with enterprise funds and has assisted them with the establishment and maintenance of a debt program and regulatory compliance with federal tax law for tax-exempt bonds and 15c2-12 continuing disclosure compliance. She has worked on many structured financings, including variable rate demand obligations, commercial paper notes and the restructuring of these types of variable rate obligations.
Kim is a member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers and the Riverside County Bar Association. While attending the University of San Diego School of Law, she served as comments editor for the San Diego Law Review and won the American Jurisprudence Award for Contracts and Torts.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, member
- Riverside County Bar Association, member
- “SEC Settles With Muni Bond Issuer” BBKnowledge, Aug. 24, 2017
- “Private vs. Public Infrastructure Funding Debate Continues” BBKnowledge, Feb. 15, 2017
- “SEC Took Three Actions Against U.S. Municipal Issuers in 2013. Time for Annual Disclosure Policy Update?” BBKnowledge, Jan. 10, 2014
- “Harrisburg Charged With Securities Fraud,” BB&K Legal Alert, May 9, 2013
“California Public Agencies: The Fiscal Cliff, Post-Issuance Compliance and More,” PublicCEO, Dec. 13, 2013