John D. Wahlin focuses on employee benefits as a partner in Best Best & Krieger LLP’s Labor & Employment practice group. He advises clients on all aspects of employee benefits including retirement plans, non-qualified plans of deferred compensation, health and other employee benefit plans.
John has extensive experience in advising public agencies with respect to the unique requirements applicable to public pension, health and other public employee benefit plans.
His practice also includes business and tax planning, including distribution and asset protection planning for pension and personal assets.
John taught courses relating to deferred compensation and employee benefits for University of California Riverside Extension. He is also a frequent speaker at seminars for employers’ groups, the Riverside County Bar and BB&K-sponsored programs.
While in law school, he was on the Board of Editors for the Wisconsin Law Review.
- American Bar Association Tax Section
- American Bar Association Employee Benefits and Tax Practice Management committees
- State Bar of California Tax Section
- “Ninth Circuit Sides with Orange County in Retiree Health Benefits Case,” BB&K Legal Alert, Feb. 19, 2014
- “Implementation of the Affordable Care Act’s Play or Pay Rules Eased for Mid-Sized Employers,” BB&K Legal Alert, Feb. 11, 2014
- “Court’s Tentative Decision on San Jose’s Pension Reform Measure Appears to Favor City,” BB&K Legal Alert, Jan. 10, 2014
- “California Mayors Propose Game-Changing Pension Reform,” BB&K Legal Alert, Dec. 10, 2013
- “Employers May Allow Unused Amounts in Health FSAs to be Carried Forward for An Entire Year,” BB&K Legal Alert, Nov. 4, 2013
- “Deadline Fast Approaching for the Health Insurance Exchange Notice,” BB&K Legal Alert, Sept. 17, 2013
- “Health-Care Reform: The Eight-Month Countdown,” Cal State San Bernardino’s Santos Manuel Student Union, April 25, 2013
- “Comprehensive Pension Reform is Here, Now What?” CSDA Annual Conference, Sept. 25, 2012
- “BB&K Webinar: AB 340 - What Does Pension Reform Mean For Your Agency?” BB&K Webinar, Sep. 20, 2012
- “Employers: The Health Care Law and Your Obligations Webinar,” BB&K Webinar, July 24, 2012
- “Public Pension Reform: What Are the Options?” 76th Annual International Municipal Lawyers Association (IMLA) Conference, Sep. 12, 2011