Jeffrey Wilson is a partner in the firm’s municipal law practice group with a focus on litigation. He brings to the firm more than 13 years of litigation experience, specializing in municipal, commercial, personal injury, health care, and general liability disputes. Jeff has handled numerous cases at all stages of litigation, which includes pre-litigation settlement discussions through settlement and/or trial. He has second-chaired several trials and overseen multiple single-day arbitrations, in addition to resolving hundreds of cases. Jeff also has experience in corporate law, advising clients with trademark & patent applications, entity formation, vendor agreements, recruiter contracts, licensing agreements, and preparation of various other commercial documents.
Before joining Best Best & Krieger, Jeff was a partner at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith in the Long-Term Healthcare and General Liability groups. Prior to that experience, he was in-house counsel for a Fortune 100 American diversified global insurer and the sixth-largest property and casualty insurer in the United States, handling personal injury, general liability, and premises liability claims. He has also been outside general counsel for several worldwide automobile manufacturers while employed at firms in the Bay Area of California, specializing in commercial liability, consumer warranty, and professional liability matters.
Jeff has served as the Chair of various Barristers sections within the San Francisco Bar Association and is admitted to the Northern, Central, and Southern Districts in California.
He earned his Juris Doctor from the University of San Francisco’s School of Law and a Bachelor of Science in Management Science and Law & Society from the University of California, San Diego. He is also a licensed California Real Estate Agent.
Jeff is an accomplished tennis athlete who was part of the #2 ranked doubles team in the country in division II during his undergrad studies. He still plays competitively on USTA 5.0 teams in the Bay Area, as well as competing in national age-group tournaments around the United States.
- Prepare demurrer and motion to strike complaint filed by property owner against the County of Los Angeles for quiet title, slander of title, declaratory relief, and injunctive relief.
- Assist the City of Goleta in filing several eminent domain actions against property owners related to the San Jose Multifunctional Bike Path Project.
- Manage construction defect litigation brought by the County of Los Angeles against a general contractor related to the Fountain at Grand Park.
- Advise the Crescent City Harbor District with respect to a dispute involving multiple ground leases, including preparation of an unlawful detainer action.
- Assist the City of Monterey with a commercial lease dispute against a hotel based on interpretation of gross sales and payment of percentage rent.
- Prepare Petition for Right of Entry on behalf of a municipality to allow for access onto real property in order to conduct environmental studies/surveys to assess the impact of a proposed project on the surrounding area.
- Take and defend over 200 depositions of party witnesses, expert witnesses, and percipient witness in litigation.
- Serve as lead counsel at full-day arbitrations and as second-chair at multiple trials.
- Prepare for trial and attend trial-related hearings in multiple state and federal courts throughout California.
- Evaluate and assess the potential risk of various legal claims in order to report to clients in a timely manner and create a proposed budget through trial.
- Manage the discovery process from inception of a case to resolution, including extensive motion practice.
- File successful challenges to initial pleadings via demurrer and motion to strike.
- Attend mediations in person or via Zoom to successfully resolve claims.
- Drankgon LLC, CEO and Founder, 2016-2021
- Youth Tennis Advantage, Volunteer, 2018-2021
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Member, 2010-2020
- “Extra Terms and Unresponsiveness May Jeopardize Your Lemon Law Settlement Offer," Linkedin, December 23, 2016