Coronavirus Relief Funds Can Be Used for FEMA Public Assistance Cost Share
Public Agencies Should Be Aware of Requirements
Today, the U.S. Treasury clarified that the Coronavirus Relief Fund dollars, provided under the CARES Act, may be used to pay for the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Public Assistance cost-share requirements.
Under the Stafford Act, the assistance FEMA provides through its Public Assistance Program is subject to a cost share. The federal share covers 75 percent of eligible costs and the remaining 25 percent is the applicant’s responsibility (in limited circumstances, the federal cost share for Emergency Work may be increased).
Both the federal share and the non-federal cost share must be for eligible costs used in direct support of activities that FEMA approved in the grant award. For the Coronavirus Relief Funds to be used as the non-federal match, the eligible costs must be COVID-19 related. The public agencies should also be aware that donated resources can be used to offset the non-federal cost share for eligible Emergency Protective Measures (Category B). Donated resources include contributions of cash, third-party volunteer services, materials or any combination of these.
For more information or any questions regarding FEMA eligibility, reimbursement cost share or donated resources, please contact the author of this Legal Alert listed at the right in the firm’s Municipal Law practice group or your BB&K attorney.
Please feel free to share this Legal Alert or subscribe by clicking here. Follow us on Facebook @BestBestKrieger and on Twitter @BBKlaw.
Disclaimer: BB&K Legal Alerts are not intended as legal advice. Additional facts, facts specific to your situation or future developments may affect subjects contained herein. Seek the advice of an attorney before acting or relying upon any information herein.