Marco A. Martinez’s practice areas include general municipal law, land use and zoning, subdivisions, housing and California Environmental Quality Act issues, First Amendment law, cannabis regulations and sign/billboard regulations and development impact fee issues. A partner in Best Best & Krieger LLP’s Municipal Law practice group, Marco provides city attorney services to the cities of Azusa, Shafter and Baldwin Park. He also serves as assistant city attorney to the cities of Colton and Pomona, Land Use Counsel to the City of Montclair and is general counsel to the California Chapter of the American Planning Association.
Prior to joining BBK, Marco worked as a planner for more than a decade, serving the City of Downey and the County of Los Angeles Department of Regional Planning. He was selected as a California Executive Fellow with the California Department of Housing and Community Development, where his primary duties consisted of researching and writing housing issue papers, as well as reviewing housing elements.
Marco is a frequent speaker and instructor on land use and planning issues as well as local government ethics. He is the author of the 1988 California Department of Housing & Community Development research paper titled: “The Effects of Subsidized and Affordable Housing on Property Values: A Survey of Research” (1987).
- Riverside County Bar Association
- Riverside Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- American Planning Association
- International Municipal Lawyers Association
- International Conference of Shopping Centers
- Volunteer Baseball Coach - Little League & Travel Baseball
- American Baseball Coaches Association
- "New Laws Affecting Public Agencies in California," BBK Legal Alert, Nov. 25, 2013
- "New Law Gives Local Agencies the Power to Reject Mobile Home Park Conversions," BBK Legal Alert, Sept. 30, 2013
- "Court Upholds Town’s Sign Ordinance as Constitutional," BBK Legal Alert, March 25, 2013
- "AB 602: An Essential Breakdown for Development Impact Fee Programs," League of California Cities Annual Conference and Expo, Sept. 8, 2022
- "Enforcement of Solicitation/Panhandling Regulations and Overview of SB 946 (Sidewalk Vending)," BB&K Webinar, Dec. 11, 2018
- "Ethics for Planners," American Planning Association, California Chapter Inland Empire Section's Law and Ethics for Planners Event, Nov. 19, 2015