Marco A. Martinez
Marco A. Martinez’s practice areas include general municipal law, land use and zoning, subdivisions, housing and California Environmental Quality Act issues, First Amendment law, public contracts and sign/billboard regulations. A partner in Best Best & Krieger LLP’s Municipal Law practice group, Marco provides city attorney services to the cities of Azusa and Shafter. He also serves as assistant city attorney to the cities of Colton and Pomona. He is general counsel to the California Chapter of the American Planning Association, and is special land use counsel to the City of Montclair.
Prior to joining BB&K, Marco worked as a planner for more than a decade, serving the City of Downey and the County of Los Angeles Department of Regional Planning. He was selected as a California Executive Fellow with the California Department of Housing and Community Development, where his primary duties consisted of researching and writing housing issue papers, as well as reviewing housing elements.
Marco is a frequent speaker and instructor on land use and planning issues as well as local government ethics.
- Riverside County Bar Association
- Riverside Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- American Planning Association
- International Municipal Lawyers Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- “New Laws Affecting Public Agencies in California,” BB&K Legal Alert, Nov. 25, 2013
- “New Law Gives Local Agencies the Power to Reject Mobile Home Park Conversions,” BB&K Legal Alert, Sept. 30, 2013
- “Court Upholds Town’s Sign Ordinance as Constitutional,” BB&K Legal Alert, March 25, 2013
- "AB 602: An Essential Breakdown for Development Impact Fee Programs," League of California Cities Annual Conference and Expo, Sept. 8, 2022
- "Enforcement of Solicitation/Panhandling Regulations and Overview of SB 946 (Sidewalk Vending)," BB&K Webinar, Dec. 11, 2018
- "Ethics for Planners," American Planning Association, California Chapter Inland Empire Section's Law and Ethics for Planners Event, Nov. 19, 2015