Laura J. Fowler is an attorney in the Labor & Employment Law practice group of Best Best & Krieger LLP. Laura represents employers in a variety of court and administrative proceedings.
She defends both public and private employers in lawsuits for wrongful termination, breach of contract, unpaid wages, harassment, failure to accommodate, retaliation and discrimination. Laura represents public and private employers in administrative proceedings filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Labor Commissioner and the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board. She also drafts employee handbooks, policies, employment agreements and severance agreements. Laura provides employers with day-to-day advice regarding wage and hour issues, leaves of absence, disability accommodations, and decisions regarding discipline and termination.
Prior to joining the firm, she was an attorney with McDonough Holland & Allen in Sacramento. Laura presents seminars on a number of employment-related issues and acted as a guest lecturer at her alma mater, McGeorge School of Law. She graduated from law school as valedictorian and was selected by the law school faculty as the outstanding graduating senior for her graduating class. She served as writer and editor for the Pacific Law Journal. After law school, she served as law clerk for the Honorable Milton L. Schwartz of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California. She is admitted to all the districts of the U.S. District Court in California and the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
American Bar Association
Sacramento Area Human Resources Association
Sacramento Advisory Council
- "COVID-19 Emergency Prevention Peasures," PublicCEO, Jan. 28, 2021
- "New Rules: COVID-19 Dominates California's Latest Workplace Regulations," The Press-Enterprise, Jan. 26, 2021
- “The List: Law Firms,” Sacramento Business Journal, Jan. 27, 2015
- “New Laws Affecting Businesses in California,” BB&K Legal Alert, Nov. 26, 2013
- “New Laws Affecting Public Agencies in California,” BB&K Legal Alert, Nov. 25, 2013
- “Two New California Laws Will Affect Hiring and Fair Employment Practices,” BB&K Legal Alert, Oct. 24, 2013
- “Private Employers Must Only Provide For Breaks, Not Ensure Them,” BB&K Legal Alert, April 12, 2012
- "BB&K Annual Labor & Employment Update 2018," BB&K Seminar, Jan. 18, 2018
- "Labor & Employment Update," BB&K Seminar, Jan. 11, 2017
- "2016 Labor & Employment Update," BB&K Seminar, Jan. 7, 2016
- “Best Best & Krieger LLP’s Annual Labor & Employment Law Update 2012,” BB&K Seminar, Feb. 2, 2012