Karish Published in American City & County: Public Works & Utilities
Local Government Telecom Policy Checklist for 2023
On February 21, 2023, Best Best & Krieger LLP (BBK) Partner Gail A. Karish’s article was published in American City & County, in which she discusses the current state of telecom industry affairs and new opportunities and threats.
In the piece, Karish identifies areas that should be top of mind for local governments trying to balance the telecom needs of their families, businesses and schools with federal actions that prioritize nationwide infrastructure deployment over local control of land use and local public property, including:
- Making the most of broadband funding opportunities
- Protecting cable/video service franchise fee revenues from offsets
- Monitoring cable/video services revenues with the rise of streaming services
- Implementing new FCC wireless siting rules
- Protecting local governments’ rights to manage and get fair compensation for use of public rights-of-way
Additionally, Karish provides a checklist of the critical steps local government leaders need to take with their telecom projects in 2023. The full article is available online.