Partner John Brown Receives James H. Krieger Meritorious Award
Riverside Lawyer Magazine Feature on Brown, the Krieger Meritorious Service Award Winner
The Krieger Award was established in 1974 to recognize attorneys or judges who have shown outstanding commitments to community service that extends beyond the legal profession and the Riverside County Bar Association.
This year’s James H. Krieger Meritorious Service Award was presented to Best Best & Krieger LLP Partner John Brown, who has assisted numerous public agencies throughout the California. He has served as counsel to the March Joint Powers Authority, the Town of Apple Valley, and the cities of Ontario, Lafayette, San Jacinto, La Habra Heights, and nearly two dozen other municipalities over his career.
John’s notable work to prioritize community service includes:
- Two-term president of the Mission Inn Foundation Board;
- Served on the Riverside Art Museum Board;
- Served on the Riverside Public Library Foundation Board;
- Assisted the Evergreen Memorial Historic Cemetery and the California Citrus Park; and
- In the early 2000’s, John chaired the City of Riverside’s Homeless Advisory Commission. As a result of his service on that Commission, Riverside is still implementing models of service that include full-time street outreach teams, women, children and men’s homeless shelters, as well as other service components.
John has served as a past treasurer and vice president of the California Historical Society Board of Trustees. He remains active by serving as the current president of the board of the directors of the Sam and Alfreda Maloof Foundation for Arts and Crafts and vice president of the board of directors of the Friends of the State Citrus Park. He also still serves on the City of Riverside’s Cultural Heritage Board.
John is a person who deeply believes in making sure the legal profession reflects the communities it serves. BB&K Partner Sonia Carvalho noted some time ago: “Long before law firms and companies began touting their commitments to hiring a diverse workforce, John was actively involved in recruiting and mentoring lawyers of diverse backgrounds at Best Best & Krieger.”
Over the past 40 plus years, John has touched thousands of lives in a positive way. He is so deserving of the 2020 James H. Krieger Meritorious Service Award. The Riverside Lawyer Magazine feature can be found in its entirety here.