Scott H. Campbell is a partner and leader of Best Best & Krieger LLP's Municipal Law practice group. Based in the firm’s Los Angeles office, his practice concentrates on municipal and public entity representation, construction management and litigation. He has extensive trial experience.
City Attorney/General Counsel
Scott serves as the city attorney for the City of Avalon. In his role as city attorney, Scott attends City Council meetings and oversees all legal services. He also serves as general counsel for the Gold Coast Health Plan, a public entity that provides Medi-Cal services to approximately 200,000 residents of Ventura County.
He has also served as general counsel for the Lake Arrowhead Community Services District, attending board meetings, providing advice on compliance with the Brown Act and conflict of interest laws, and overseeing legal issues that arise. Scott has attended more than 1,200 Brown Act meetings during his 30 years of practice representing public agencies.
Scott has supervised public works projects involving more than $14 billion in public funding and has represented cities, special districts and community colleges in hundreds of construction projects. Some of his recent public works and construction projects include:
- City of La Cañada Flintridge: Scott recently advised the City on its City Hall construction project, which converted the headquarters of Sport Chalet into City Hall. He also assisted with all legal issues concerning the design and installation of three new sewer projects worth more than $25 million. His work included supervising all contract disputes and litigation. The City of La Cañada Flintridge continues to retain Scott to supervise all legal issues associated with public works matters.
- City of Thousand Oaks: Scott re-wrote contracts to bring the City into complete compliance with recently passed laws and to protect the City against contractor claims.
- City of Thousand Oaks: Scott represented the City in a lawsuit regarding defective and incomplete work performed by a contractor, which settled on terms favorable to the City. His work included termination issues and working with a surety to have the work successfully completed.
- Los Angeles Community College District: Scott has represented LACCD in many construction cases involving defective work, termination of contractors and securing replacement contractors to complete work. He has also successfully sued sureties on behalf of LACCD and recovered funds from sureties. He recently rewrote the construction contract documents for LACCD multi-billion dollar construction program.
- Gold Coast Transit District: Scott supervised all aspects of a $55 million project for a new headquarters for the district as well as a bus yard and service center that will serve the district’s 100 buses. He drafted the bid documents and contract, and is providing ongoing advice on change order requests. The project was successfully completed.
He has presented several papers at the annual League of California Cities conferences and many other conferences and seminars. He was appointed a League Partner Policy Committee Liaison for 2020 to the Transportation, Communications and Public Works Committee. Scott is a past president of the City Attorneys Association of Los Angeles County and served on the Board of Directors for St. Anne’s Maternity Home for a decade. He is a member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. Scott is listed as a “Southern California Super Lawyer” for Government and Municipal Law — an honor only 5 percent of lawyers in California receive annually from their peers. In 2014, he was recognized as one of the Top 50 Development Lawyers in California for his work on improving water availability in Avalon Harbor. For the last two years, he has been recognized as one of the county’s best construction lawyers. He is admitted to the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California and the United States Supreme Court.
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Construction Law, 2022–2024
- Southern California Super Lawyers, State, Local and Municipal, 2006–2007, 2009–2022
- Top 100 Irish American Lawyers, 2020
- Top 50 Development Lawyers in California, Daily Journal, 2014
- City Attorney Association of Los Angeles County, Past President
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- The California Club
- The International Map Collectors’ Society
- Sons of the American Revolution
- "BB&K Legislation Rundown: The New Laws Impacting California Public Agencies, PublicCEO, Jan. 27, 2021
- "Police and Emergency Powers: Limits on Property Rights," CLE Webinar, Strafford, Sept. 15, 2020
- "Open Government Laws and Ethics," New Mayors and Council Members Governance Workshop, Los Angeles County Division of the League of California Cities, July 18, 2020
- "Meeting Management: Tips for Efficient and Effective Public Meetings," 2020 LCC Planning Commissioners Academy, League of California Cities, March 5, 2020
- Webinar "Difficult Meetings: Advice on How to Handle Challenging Situations That May, Okay They Will, Arise in Council Meetings," Independent Cities Association, June 19, 2019
- Speech to Planning Commissioners Academy, League of California Cities, March 7, 2019