Partner and Director of Government Policy & Public Integrity
Victoria "Tori" Hester
As Partner and Director of BB&K’s Government Policy and Public Integrity group, Victoria "Tori" Hester routinely advises public agency clients regarding their ethical duties, including how to address potential conflicts of interest under the Political Reform Act and Government Code Section 1090. Tori also provides trainings to public agency clients, including the firm’s biennial AB 1234 Ethics Training and Brown Act trainings, and assists city attorneys (both inside and outside the firm) in providing ethics and conflict of interest advice to their clients. Tori serves as assistant city attorney for the City of Santee, and handles the day-to-day advisory work, including the City Council agenda review and contract review. Additionally, as a member of BB&K’s Housing Group, Tori assists clients in ensuring compliance with state housing law, including navigating the rapidly changing requirements of affordable housing and density bonus law.
Tori serves on the Executive Committee of the San Diego County Bar Association’s Government Law Section. She was a summer associate at BB&K before joining the firm in 2014.
Tori graduated summa cum laude from Point Loma Nazarene University, where she earned her bachelor’s degree in history with a minor in Spanish. Tori received her law degree from University of California, Irvine School of Law, where she was lead article editor on the UC Irvine Law Review, and participated in the UC Irvine Immigrants’ Rights Clinic. As a clinical student, Tori co-authored a report on juvenile deportation titled “Second Chances for All.” Throughout her law school career, Tori engaged in pro bono work, including assisting on a guardianship case and conducting preliminary screenings for the California Innocence Project.
Tori grew up in San Diego, where she now lives with her husband, Jeff, an underwater cameraman, and her son Ashton. As a member of the Point Loma Nazarene University Track & Field Team, Tori earned eight All-American titles. She enjoys running, playing volleyball, scuba diving and traveling.
- 40 Under 40, SD Metro, 2022
- Top 40 Under 40, San Diego Daily Transcript, 2018
- La Mancha Pro Bono Publico Award, Casa Cornelia Law Center, 2017
- San Diego County Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association Government Law Section, Executive Committee member, 2021-present
- Housing Policy Leadership Academy, LeSar Development Consultants, summer 2019
- Pro bono attorney with Casa Cornelia Law Center
- San Diego County Bar Foundation Board of Directors, past member, 2016-2019
- “How to Avoid Brown Act Violations When Discussing Litigation Issues,” PublicCEO, May 28, 2015
- "AB 1234 - Practical Ethical Issues for County Counsels, Conflicts of Interest, 1090 Liability," County Counsels’ Association of California Spring Land Use Study Section Conference, May 5, 2022
- "Ethics and Public Integrity Laws: Recent Updates and Common Questions," City Attorney Association of San Diego Spring Retreat, March 24, 2022